12 December 2022 | Activity Reports, Latest Activities
The energy crisis and price hikes exacerbated by the Russian invasion of Ukraine put a lot of pressure on governments, citizens and businesses, who were still recovering from the pandemic shock.
In this context, in 2022, the Alliance threw its weight behind demonstrating to EU decision makers that existing energy efficiency solutions are key to address the energy crisis and reach climate neutrality globally.
We continued our work on the implementation of a work programme which involved all our members and was structured around four main objectives:
• Energy efficiency boosted by policy and regulatory framework
• Unleashing the energy savings potential of water efficiency in EU legislation
• Financing energy efficiency
• Smart, digital and effective communication to achieve advocacy objective
Read the full report
10 December 2021 | Latest Activities, Papers
Following the adoption of the Climate Law and in view of its higher climate ambition for 2030 and 2050, the European Commission proposed to revise the Energy Efficiency Directive. Energy efficiency must become the bedrock of a decarbonised energy system.
Amending the Energy Efficiency Directive (EED) is the starting point for the Union to deliver on the necessary reduction of energy demand, to define and operationalise the Energy Efficiency First principle and to set the right policy mechanisms that would address the overall efficiency of the energy supply chain. These are the necessary conditions to achieve a highly efficient and renewable-based energy system in view of the full decarbonisation of our economy.
This paper contains the recommendations of the European Alliance to Save Energy to help making the EED fit for 55% and set the longer track to achieving climate neutrality by 2050.
The recommendations touch upon:
- Energy efficiency targets for increased ambition
- Public sector leading by example
- Expanding the scope to all public and private non-residential buildings
- Public procurement
- Align the Energy Savings Obligation with 2030 and 2050 ambition
- Energy audits and management systems
- Energy efficiency in Heating and Cooling
- Demand response and efficiency in transformation and distribution networks
- Availability of qualification, accreditation and certification schemes
- Information and training
- Energy services market
- Energy efficiency national funds and other support mechanisms
- Primary Energy Factor
Read the full paper