9 March 2021 | Latest Activities, Papers
Energy efficiency should be the starting point for all decarbonisation efforts. Carbon pricing can play a role in this, as it can provide incentives for the fuel switch and to some extent for energy efficiency investments. Yet, it should not replace impactful regulatory measures in the building sector driving the energy savings necessary to meet climate neutrality.
We believe carbon pricing in the building sector can only work effectively and efficiently if:
- Its modalities are thoroughly assessed to gauge its potential benefits for the building sector
- It is part of a well-designed broader policy mix
- It includes a resilient mechanism for reinvesting its revenues to prevent and reduce energy poverty
Read the full paper
More about our webinar on carbon pricing and buildings
10 July 2020 | Events, Latest Activities
The webinar “Decarbonising industry and the ICT sector: energy and CO2 saving potentials in the short and longer term“, part of the EU Sustainable Energy Week 2020 extended programme, brought together policymakers, researchers, and a cross-sectorial group of business representatives to discuss about:
- existing technologies and approaches to save energy and reduce emissions in industry and the ICT sector – in the short term
- policy guardrails needed for a GHG-neutral EU industry and ICT sector – in the longer term
Three impulse presentations were followed by a panel discussion with policy-relevant actors and a virtual interaction with the audience.
Speakers: Peter Hoedemaker, President, European Industrial Insulation Foundation; Jan Ciampor, Policy Officer, Energy Efficiency Unit, DG ENER, European Commission; Antti Valle, Deputy Head of Unit, Energy Intensive Industries and Raw Materials, DG GROW, European Commission; Andreas Guertler, Director, European Industrial Insulation Foundation; Gaël Souchet, Senior Product Manager New Energy Storage, Schneider Electric; Andrea Herbst, Senior Researcher, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI; Guido Knoche, Senior Advisor for Climate, German Environment Agency (UBA); and Barbara Mariani, Senior Policy Officer for Climate, European Environmental Bureau.
Moderator: Monica Frassoni, President, European Alliance to Save Energy.
The event was co-hosted by the European Industrial Insulation Foundation, the European Alliance to Save Energy, the German Environment Agency (UBA) and the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI.
Watch the recording of the webinar here
The full presentation is available here
1 July 2020 | Events, oldnews?
This year the EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) took place in an online and reduced format. As a proud partner of EUSEW 2020, EU-ASE contributed in different ways to the success of the event, as shown below.
Participation in the EUSEW 2020 main conference and side webinars:
- Decisive action on energy poverty: solutions from across the EU – organised by DG ENER (European Commission) – Watch the recording here
- Spurring Europe’s Renovation Wave – How #BetterBuildingsEU can contribute to #EUGreenRecovery – co-organised with smartEn, EuroAce, SolarPower Europe, EHPA, BPIE, EuropeOn and EBC – Watch the recording here
- Decarbonising industry and the ICT sector: energy and CO2 saving potential in the short and longer term – co-organised with the European Industrial Insulation Foundation, the German Environment Agency (UBA) and the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI – Watch the recording here
- Powering energy transition in rural communities through social and territorial innovation – More information here
- Renovation Wave: the immediate and powerful recovery button at the fingertips of EU policymakers – Read here
- Smart and the city: energy efficiency and sector integration for a #carbonneutralEU – Read here