On 28 September 2022, 11:30 – 13:00pm (CET) as part of the European Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW), the European Alliance to Save Energy (EU-ASE) with smartEn and E3G, hosted an online conference on energy system efficiency and how this approach contributes to energy transition and to the phase-out of fossil fuels while increasing energy security and creating economic, social and environmental benefits for citizens and businesses.
The Russian invasion of Ukraine has exacerbated an already looming energy price crisis, stressing the urgent need to achieve a more efficient and decarbonised energy system. This requires the application of the Energy Efficiency First principle at the system level with consumers at its heart.
By significantly reducing energy demand and better integrating system efficiency solutions relying on the active contribution of consumers, the energy system can be transformed to ensure that we reduce our energy consumption and satisfy our energy needs with renewables at the best time, in the right way. This will ensure the optimisation of the system and accelerate the efficient integration of renewables.
The focus of this session is to discuss and demonstrate, through the contribution of concrete examples, how an energy system efficiency approach can contribute to energy transition and to the phase-out of fossil fuels while increasing energy security and creating economic, social, and environmental benefits for citizens and businesses.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Moderator: Monica Frassoni, President, European Alliance to Save Energy (EU-ASE)
- Niels Fuglsang, Rapporteur of the Energy Efficiency Directive recast, Member of the European Parliament
- Dirk Kaisers, Segment Leader Distributed Energy Management EMEA, Eaton
- Adeline Rochet, Senior Policy Adviser, E3G
- Michael Villa, Executive Director, smartEn
- Hans van Steen, Principal Adviser in DG Energy, European Commission
Recording of the event available here & starts at 2:35:09
More information here.